This Indo-Saracenic building was built in 1886-89 as the Punjab Chiefs Court, was designed by Mr. Brossington and work was supervised by the Mr. J. E. Hilton, Executive Engineer with the total cost of Rs. 3, 21, 837.
It is found in old records that the place where stands High Court building was the vicinity of shrine of Shah Chiragh, and the Accountant-General's office was established in the Shrine building for many long years before the construction of this court building.
With predecessors fulfilling its purpose since 1866, the Lahore High Court was established on the 21st of March 1919 and 175(2) of the Constitution of 1973 provide insights regarding the jurisdiction of the High Court. Essentially based in the city of Lahore, the High Court has benches in three other Pakistani cities-namely, Rawalpindi, Multan and Bahawalpur.