Mayo Hospital

Mayo Hospital is one of the oldest and biggest hospital, located in the heart of Lahore City and is surrounded by busy commercial and thickly populated residential areas with famous Anarkali Bazaar, Nila Gumbad, Gawalmandi and the Walled City of Old Lahore around it.

The hospital building was completed in 1870 and it started functioning in 1871. The hospital is named after the then Viceroy of the South Asia, the “Earl of Mayo”.

 

Earlier, after its construction in 1871, the Mayo Hospital was affiliated as a teaching hospital with the King Edward Medical College (then Lahore Medical College) which came into being in 1860.

Encompassing over 54.6 acres of land and the main building with boundary having 11 gates, the hospital is one of the largest hospitals in South East Asia and is a centre of excellence for public benefit. It had bed capacity of 300 beds on the Day of Independence (1947) but now is extended up to 2399 beds. The father of the nation, Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah also paid tribute to services rendered by this hospital on his visit to Mayo Hospital dated 19.03.1940.

The architecture of the hospital is Italian, designed by Pudon and engineered by Rai Bahadur Kanahya, one of the leading architects of that time. However the architectural influence seems to be from medieval hospitals built in Dark AgesThe additions between 1960 and early 1980 were designed by A. R. Hye.

The hospital was used to be managed by the Medical Superintendent under the administrative control of Government till 1999 when the whole setup was declared as Autonomous Medical Institution and the Mayo Hospital became Allied Hospital of King Edward Medical College. The Principal KEMC and the M.S. Mayo Hospital were placed under the administrative control of a newly created post of Chief Executive. In 2002, the Board of Governors took over the charge of the institution under PMHI Ordinance 2002, according to which the posts of Principal Executive Officer (PEO) / Dean and Deputy Dean were created. In the next year 2003, under another PMHI Ordinance 2003, the Board of Governors was replaced with the Board of Management under which Principal KEMC was declared Head of Institution consisting of KEMC & Mayo Hospital.

Leave a Comment

Search

Recent Places

Jado Ghar / Magic House / Freemason's Hall

Jado Ghar / Magic House / Freemason's Hall

Jado Ghar / Magic House / Freemason's Hall, Charing Cross...

Hindustan Commercial Bank Building

Hindustan Commercial Bank Building

Hindustan Commercial Bank Est 1805, Gobind Ram Building -...

Gurdwara Guru Mangat - Lahore

Gurdwara Guru Mangat - Lahore

Gurdwara Guru Mangat #Lahore c. 1940s Once this gurdwara...

Photo Stream

  • Jashan-E-Baharan - Canal Mela Lahore - 2014
  • Haveli Sardar Jawala Singh Sandhu - Padhana
  • 1421152751-19.Jpg
  • 1419425306-732.Jpg
  • 1428757244-134.Jpg
  • 1419425485-362.Jpg
  • Early 20th Century Vintage Magic Lantern Slides Of Lahore
  • 1428757279-152.Jpg

Recent Blogs

A 1930s Rare Video Of Lahore

A 1930s Rare Video Of Lahore

Watch A 1930s Rare Video of Lahore

Rare Color Footage Of Quaid-E-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah Visiting Lahore

Rare Color Footage Of Quaid-E-Azam Muhammad Ali...

A 1948 Rare Footage of Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah a...

Alif Laila Book Bus - A Mobile Library In Lahore

Alif Laila Book Bus - A Mobile Library In Lahore

Alif Laila Book Bus - A Mobile Library in Lahore To enco...