Marble Pavilion At Charing Cross

Siddique Shahzad Places

It was a garden (now stands Punjab Assembly Hall), where this famous Canopy was laid out, a master piece of Bhai Ram Singh. 

Until 1951 this white marble Canopy displayed a bronze statue of Queen Victoria that facing to the Queens Road. Statue was cast in London in 1900 by B Mackennal, just a year before the Queen`s death in 1901.

The whole area was Lahore's earliest elite locality "Donald Town" which was named after Donald McLeod, who was later to become the lieutenant governor of the Punjab (1865–70), and after whom, people even today, call McLeod Road.

Comments